8.06.2012

The Return of My Japanese Obsession

I came across the Japanese discount store Daiso through Yelp and I thought it'd be interesting to see what it has to offer. I have fond memories of the 99cents store that closed down in Subic years ago. So when I realized that Daiso is less than 10 minutes from Sunnyvale and that beside it is a Japanes food mart, I dragged Gary (who was still in his Army uniform from his weekend duty) to do some spending.

Now Gary is your typical guy--he hates shopping. But since we haven't spent time all weekend, the boy obliged. We scoured Daiso and I got me some cheap kitchen tools--some cooking spoons for $1.50 each, a knife for $5 (I just hope that despite being dirt cheap, it lives up to its reputation, what with it being a Japanese knife and all) and a wooden mat for $1.50. I would've stayed longer at Daiso to ogle to my heart's content but I knew Gary was tired from his run this morning so I went on to Marukai, which specializes in Japanese food.

They have heaps of beef sukiyaki and yakiniku, ready-made bentos and aisles and aisles of Japanese snacks. I bought a sushi mat, some nori, sesame seeds and Japanese mayo. I can't wait to make me some California rolls! We also bought some treats, which we ate as soon as we got to the car. The visit was a little too short so I'm definitely going back!


My Daiso/Marukai haul--the other goodies vanished without a trace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog